2016 SUMMER SCHOOL
Burlingame High School
1 Mangini Way, Burlingame, CA 94010
June 6, 2016 – July 14, 2016 (Monday, July 4th Holiday)
Click HERE for 2016 Summer School Application.
SUMMER SCHOOL IS DESIGNED FOR CREDIT RECOVERY. Students with Ds who would like to improve their grade will be waitlisted. Priority will be given to any student with an F grade in a class (see your counselor about exceptions). Next priority will be for D grade make-ups based upon grade level (12th to 9th). ALL Courses are a combination of online learning and teacher-led instruction called "blended learning." Students must attend class daily Monday thru Thursday; only two absences are permitted. Additional attendance time and days may be required after-school for students not making adequate progress. Lab time is available for students without computers at home or who need additional assistance.
Monday to Thursday
1st Period 8:00am – 10:30am 2nd Period 10:50am – 1:20pm
Mathematics (Blended Learning)
___Algebra 1 ___Algebra 2
___Algebra 3 ___Algebra 4
___Int. Math 1 ___Int. Math 2
___Int. Math 3 ___Int. Math 4
___*Geometry 1 ___*Geometry 2 (not Accelerated Geometry)
Sciences (Blended Learning)
___Biology 1 ___Biology 2
___Chemistry 1 ___Chemistry 2
___Earth Science 1 ___Earth Science 2 (Physical Sci.)
Social Studies (Blended Learning)
___Contemporary World Studies
___Mod World History 1 ___Mod World History 2
___US History 1 ___US History 2
___PE 1 ___PE 2
English Language Arts (Blended Learning)
Health (Blended Learning) ___Health
English Language Development
**Not Blended Learning
Each level will be offered in a 2 ½ hour block for 6 weeks / Please check appropriate level
ELD Teacher Signature:__________________________
____ELD 1 -2 ____ELD 3 - 4
____Algebra Sheltered 1 ____Algebra Sheltered 2
____Biology Sheltered 1 ____Biology Sheltered 2
PARENT AND STUDENT INFORMATION
- All application forms must be signed by the student, parent/guardian and home school counselor. Additional signatures may be required for special programs. Please ensure that all signatures are on the application prior to submission.
- Applications are accepted on a first-come first-served basis. Incomplete applications will not be date-stamped and will be returned for completion. Applications are date-stamped by the Summer School Office at Student Services once they are forwarded from the home school. Waitlisted students will not be placed until all failing students are placed.
- Classes will be closed when the class size reaches the maximum enrollment. All additional students will be placed on the waitlist. D grade make-ups will automatically be placed on the waitlist. Counselors will be informed of the waitlisted students. Note: Maximum class size may be reached before the registration deadline of April 15, 2016.
- Notice of enrollment status/class schedules will be sent to the student’s Home School Counselor for distribution on or before May 13, 2016.
Late Enrollment: There will be first day and prior week sign-ups for the wait-list only.
- Do not send students to Summer School on the first day to “see” if there is room. Waitlisted students will be contacted by the Summer School Office if space is available. No students will be added after June 8th.
- Students must be pre-registered in order to attend Summer School.
- Students may apply for Late-Enrollment on a space-available-basis at the Summer School Office at BHS on Thursday, June 2nd from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. In addition, students may request placement on a waitlist.
- Students must present a completed application form, with all applicable signatures, prior to applying for late enrollment.
Attendance Polices and Completion Rates: Due to the concentration of Summer school course content, attendance and meeting minimum course completion rates are essential.
Blended Learning Courses – Attendance is Mandatory 4 days a week.
- Each week - online students are required to attend a minimum of 2 teacher led classes and 2 lab sessions. 4 days a week are mandatory.
- Must have completion rates of the following or else they will be dropped with an F:
- end of week 1 – minimum 10% of course completion with D grade or better
- end of week 2 – minimum 20% of course completion with D grade or better
- No drops will occur after the 8th day of Summer School. Grade earned will be reflected on transcript and on permanent record.
- 3 absences are allowed, and students are dropped on the 4th . Students may be asked to make-up the time they missed. If you missed class time for tardies or absences, then you must make it up after-school.
Seat time classes (PE and ELD)
- Full time attendance is required.
- Students not in attendance on the first day of Summer School may be dropped. There are no excused absences during Summer School.
- Students participating in the Traditional Program are allowed a maximum of three (3) absences per class.
- Three (3) tardies in any one class will be counted as one (1) absence.
- Students exceeding the three absence limit will be dropped from the class on the fourth absence.
Class Change Requests:
- Students will be assigned to class(es) in accordance with the Counselor approved application form—no class changes will be made without the expressed written approval of the student’s counselor. No class changes will be made after the start of Summer School.
- Request for class changes must be accompanied by a new application form signed by the student’s counselor.
- Request for class changes may be made at the Summer School Office on:
June 1st from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM and June 2nd from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- There will be no class changes made after June 8th, 2016.
Dropping from Summer School:
- A written request to drop a class must be received from the parent/guardian. Emailing the Summer School Office will be sufficient for drops.
- Students will be allowed three (3) absences per class. Blended learning students may be required to make-up time after-school. Students exceeding this limit will be dropped from the class.
- Students dropping a class after the first two (2) weeks will receive a Drop “F” on their transcript.
Grades and Credits:
- Summer School grades and credits become part of the student’s permanent record and will appear on his/her school transcript.
- Report cards for summer school will be mailed home approximately one-week after the final day of classes. Transcripts will be updated on August 1st.
- SMUHSD Rules and regulations are in effect during summer school year and will be strictly enforced.
- The Summer School Principal or designee may immediately suspend or dismiss any student who violates school and/or classroom rules.
- Students can be expelled from their home school for serious expellable offences.