Overview of the Mental Health Program!
According to the latest research, one in five students living in the United States demonstrates signs or symptoms of a mental health disorder: anxiety, depression, trauma, etc. However the vast majority – nearly 80 percent – of students who need mental health services will not receive them.
The San Mateo Union High School District’s School Based Mental Health and Wellness Program provides prevention and short term intervention services for all students facing social and emotional challenges that impact academic performance, attendance, and behavior at school.
In a safe and supportive environment students can meet with Wellness Counselors to discuss a variety of complex issues such as stress, trauma, suicide, depression, bullying, grief, self esteem, family life, drug and alcohol use, relationships, gender identity and LGBTQ+.
Students can learn positive, lifelong habits that contribute to their well-being and success.
The Mental Health and Wellness Program provides short-term individual, group and drop-in support in a confidential, non-judgmental space staffed with Wellness Counselors who are dedicated to improving the health, well-being and educational outcomes of all students.
Mental Health Resources
- StarVista Crisis Hotline: 650-579-0350
- Crisis Text Line: text "home" to 741-741
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
- Anonymous Alerts: www.anonymousalerts.com/sanmateouhsd
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233, www.thehotline.org/
- 911 or visit your nearest hospital emergency room if you can get there safely
- Care Solace is an online no-cost resource with a live 24/7 concierge meant to assist students and families in finding local mental health-related programs and counseling services (with or without insurance). Students and their families can access Care Solace services by contacting the summer Wellness team or:
- Call 888-515-0595 to speak with someone from your Concierge team
- Visit www.caresolace.com/smuhsdfamilies
- Rape Trauma Services 24-hour hotline: 650-692-7273
- CORA (Community Overcoming Relationship Abuse): 24-hour hotline: 1-800-300-1080
- Your House South (if you need a place to stay): 24 hour hotline: 650-367-9687
- Trevor Project (LGBTQIA+ youth): 24 hour hotline: 1-866-488-7386
- Gender Spectrum (Gender non-conforming youth)
- Immigrants Rising