School Impact (Developer) Fees
As of July 1, 2012, the San Mateo Union High School District collects School Impact (also known as Developer) Fees for the San Mateo/Foster City Elementary School District. To pay the total School Impact Fee for the City of San Mateo and the City of Foster City, or the High School District-only portion of the School Impact Fees for Hillsborough, Millbrae and unincorporated Burlingame.
*Developer fees are accepted by appointment only.
For any inquiries or to schedule an appointment, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact (650)558-2299 ext. 2219
Checks can be made payable to SMUHSD or San Mateo Union High School District and mailed to the address below.
Attn: Developer Fees
650 North Delaware Street
San Mateo, CA 94401
Or make an appointment to bring a check in person. We are available by appointment from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
*DROP-INS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
The District accepts checks and credit cards. A 3% surcharge will be applied to credit card payments.
The combined San Mateo Union High School District and San Mateo/Foster City Elementary School District School Impact Fees for the cities of San Mateo and Foster City are:
- $4.61 per sq ft for Residential Construction
- $0.75 per sq ft for Commercial Construction
- $0.04 per sq ft for storage
The High School District's portion of School Impact Fees for the cities of Hillsborough, Millbrae, San Bruno, and unincorporated Burlingame are:
- $1.92 per sq ft for residential
- $0.31 per sq ft for commercial
The following exclusions have been established:
- Additions to existing homes of 500 sq. ft. or less of assessable space (residential only) and ADUs under 750 sq. ft.
- Modification or expansion if the purpose of the modification is to increase access for a severely and permanently disabled person.
- Reconstruction of a structure damaged or destroyed by fire, earthquake, landslide, mudslide, flood, tidal wave, etc., where the replacement structure is equivalent to the original structure. A demolition credit may be applied against the net increase in square feet that arises from the new construction.
- Any facility used exclusively for religious purposes is exempt from property taxation under the laws of California.
- Any facility used exclusively as a private full-time day school as described in Section 48222 of the Education Code
- State-owned housing for migrant farm workers which is subject to a contract ensuring compliance with Section 50710 of the Health and Safety Code.