My name is Viliami Dauwe, and I would like to take this opportunity to welcome all students, parents/guardians, and staff to the PHS Health Office. I would also like to express how much I'm looking forward to our continued work and collaborations ensuring the health and safety of our campus and students.
- If your child has any health concerns or needs special accommodations for health related concerns please, contact the health office (contact information to the right).
- Per School/District Policy, students are not permitted to carry any medication (prescription or over the counter), without an Authorization for Medication form on file for that school year. We must have written permission from both the practitioner and parent/guardian for a student to carry and self-medicate or to store medication in the Health Office each school year.
- All medication must be in the original packaging! This includes Inhalers and EpiPens. There are no exceptions. The Health Aide is available from 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. to receive medication with the exception of a thirty minute lunch break. Please contact the Health Office if other arrangements need to be made.
- Please call the Attendance/Health Office if your student is absent, leaving early or arriving tardy for any reason. If due to illness or injury, please inform us of the symptoms (fever, sore throat, etc) as we track students' absences and illnesses for infection control purposes.
- If your student has any flu-like symptoms, e.g., a fever over 100 degrees, vomiting and/or diarrhea s/he must stay home from school for at least twenty-four hours of being symptom-free without fever-reducing medication. A doctor's note may be required for your student to return to school and for the absence to be excused per school policy.
- Please inform the Health Aide if your child will be out of school for an extended period of time due to illness, have frequent absences due to a documented chronic medical condition, has any surgical procedures or hospitalizations that may require accommodations to ensure your student's health needs and academic successes are met. Any absences from school three or more days will required a doctor's note to excuse.
- If your student had a physical exam or received any immunization over the summer, please send a copy or have your health care provider fax a copy to the school in order for the Health Aide to update your student health files and all records.
It is helpful to us as a school community to have on going communication with families at all times. Please make sure your student's emergency contacts are updated and that we have the right information and people in case of an emergency during school hours. The more information we have, the more we can help your student be healthy and to succeed in school. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance to advocate for your student's healthcare needs.
Health Office General Information
Health Office Information
Additional Health Related Information
Special Health Problems: Parents/guardians are encouraged to inform the Health Aide of special health problems such as an orthopedic handicap, heart condition, epilepsy, diabetes, neurological or emotional disturbance, severe allergies or any other problems which may affect the student's school life or safety. Confidential information will be treated as such.
Excuse from Physical Education: When a student is to be excused from P.E. class for four days or less, a written note from a parent/guardian is to be given directly to the P.E. teacher. If a student is to be excused for five days or more, the Health Aide must receive written instructions from the student’s MD, NP, or DO, please use the PE MEdical Exempt Form. A written excuse from the physician is required each semester the student is to be excused. Please see the SMUHSD PE Restricted Activity/Medical Policy for more details.