Letters of Recommendation
Private colleges require letters of recommendation from teachers and sometimes also counselors. Students must request letters at least 30 business days prior to application deadlines.
HOW TO REQUEST TEACHER RECOMMENDATIONS:
1) Speak to the teacher(s) IN PERSON to request a rec letter. Students may request letters from a maximum of 2 teachers.
2) In Naviance Student, update your list of “Colleges I’m Applying To.”* If you are applying early, make sure the “Application Deadline” is accurate (e.g. Regular Decision or Early Action). Failure to do so may result in materials being sent late!
- Click on the “Colleges” tab on the upper right corner, then select “Colleges Home.”
- Under the “Apply to Colleges” menu, select “Letters of Recommendation.”
- Use the drop-down menu to select a teacher. Select which colleges your teacher will submit their letters to. (Note: The UC’s/CSU’s do not accept rec letters through Naviance).
- When finished, click “Submit Request” at the bottom of the page.
4) REQUIRED: Complete the MHS Letter of Rec Survey in Naviance (under the "About Me" tab). Also, make sure you sign the FERPA waiver in Common App, and sync your Naviance & Common App accounts.
HOW TO REQUEST A COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATION LETTER:
1) Check to see if the college(s) you’re applying to require a counselor letter of recommendation.
2) Speak to the counselor in person to request a letter, then follow up with an email to confirm.
3) REQUIRED: Complete the MHS Letter of Rec Survey in Naviance (under the "About Me" tab). Also, make sure you sign the FERPA waiver in Common App, and sync your Naviance & Common App accounts.
4) Go to the Mills Counseling website to schedule an appointment (under Contacts section) to meet with your counselor to discuss colleges.
DEADLINES TO REQUEST REC LETTERS:
Early Action/Decision Applications: Sept. 28th
Regular Applications: Nov. 1st
* If you add any colleges after November 1st, be sure to let your recommenders know! *
Parent Input Form
Parents of seniors who need a counselor recommendation letter are strongly encouraged to complete a Parent Input Form. As the expert on your student's strengths, your feedback will enable your student's counselor to write a stronger recommendation letter.
To complete a Parent Input Form, CLICK HERE.