Letters of Recommendation
Private colleges require letters of recommendation from teachers and sometimes also counselors. Students must request letters at least 5 weeks prior to application deadlines.
HOW TO REQUEST TEACHER RECOMMENDATIONS:
1) Speak to the teacher(s) IN PERSON to request a rec letter. Students may request letters from a maximum of 2 teachers.
2) In Naviance Student, update your list of “Colleges I’m Applying To.”* If you are applying early, make sure the “Application Deadline” is accurate (e.g. Regular Decision or Early Action). Failure to do so may result in materials being sent late!
- Click on the “Colleges” tab on the upper right corner, then select “Colleges Home.”
- Under the “Apply to Colleges” menu, select “Letters of Recommendation.”
- Use the drop-down menu to select a teacher. Select which colleges your teacher will submit their letters to. (Note: The UC’s/CSU’s do not accept rec letters through Naviance).
- When finished, click “Submit Request” at the bottom of the page.
4) REQUIRED: Complete the MHS Letter of Rec Survey in Naviance (under the "About Me" tab). Also, make sure you sign the FERPA waiver in Common App, and sync your Naviance & Common App accounts.
HOW TO REQUEST A COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATION LETTER:
1) Check to see if the college(s) you’re applying to require a counselor letter of recommendation.
2) Speak to the counselor in person to request a letter, then follow up with an email to confirm.
3) REQUIRED: Complete the MHS Letter of Rec Survey in Naviance (under the "About Me" tab). Also, make sure you sign the FERPA waiver in Common App, and sync your Naviance & Common App accounts.
4) Go to the Mills Counseling website to schedule an appointment (under Contacts section) to meet with your counselor to discuss colleges.
DEADLINES TO REQUEST REC LETTERS:
Early Action/Decision Applications: Sept. 25th
Regular Applications: Nov. 8th
* If you add any colleges after November 1st, be sure to let your recommenders know! *
Parent Input Form
Parents of seniors who need a counselor recommendation letter are strongly encouraged to complete a Parent Input Form. As the expert on your student's strengths, your feedback will enable your student's counselor to write a stronger recommendation letter.
To complete a Parent Input Form, CLICK HERE.