Benefits of Attending Middle College
What type of students might be interested in Middle College?
- Students who want an early start on their college
- Students who want a wider selection of classes
- Students who are first in their family to go to college
- Student who want an alternative to Advanced Placement classes (AP)
Do students receive an additional benefit for taking college courses?
- Students take three high school classes that fulfill high school graduation requirements.
- Receive “dual credit” (high school and transferable college units), the same GPA bump that is given for AP or Honor courses and gaining the experience of being a college student.
- Sense of community and acceptance
- Stay connected to your home school by continuing in activities, such as, athletics, theatre, dance, clubs, prom, etc.
- Opportunity to join CSM clubs and organizations
Check out the benefits of attending SMUHSD's Middle College program at the College of San Mateo:
- Save $30,000: Students who enter Middle College as juniors can earn 30 or more transferable college units before they graduate from high school. This could save an average of $30,000 for one year at a university
- Gain College Experience: Middle College students gain valuable experience regarding what it takes to be a successful college student
- Career/College Planning: Students take college and career courses and participate in an internship program
- Priority Registration: Middle College students are allowed to register for classes prior to concurrently-enrolled high school students
- No Course Fees: Middle College students do not pay course fees
- Community of Learners: Middle college students experience a collegial environment where education is valued.
Pick up an application from your school guidance counselor or contact Middle College:
San Mateo Middle College Office
College of San Mateo, Building 12, Room 206.1