Families who are requesting courses outside of the regular school program are required to have those courses approved by a school administrator and school counselor.
Please complete this form as soon as possible to assure that all coursework.
Click Here: BHS - COVID Outside Course Pre-Approval Form
Please carefully read the information below before completing the linked form.
Complete this form prior to enrolling in a class offered by an outside organization (online high school, community college, etc.).
The San Mateo Union High School District will not transfer credit from an accredited institution to the high school transcript under the following conditions:
- The course has not received pre-approval and/or does not fall within one of the conditions below.
- The course is taken for enrichment, but is not needed for graduation or college entrance.
- The course exceeds the 40 credit limit (BP-AR-E-6141.11).
[3 C.C. units = 5 H.S. credits / 5 C.C. units = 10 H.S. credits]
- The course is not from an Accredited institution and/or is not A-G approved.
Criteria for Appropriate Credit Approval (ACA):
- Due to circumstances related to COVID-19
- Make up a course.
- Part of an approved early graduation plan.
- Language not offered at high school.
- Compelling academic need for a course as detailed in a 4-year plan.
Students and families are responsible for the following:
- Ensuring outside programs are offered through WASC Accredited institutions and are UC A-G approved.
- Covering the cost of tuition, materials, proctoring exams and/or other related expenses/requirements.
- Ensuring the outside program will be able to implement the student’s 504 Plan or IEP, if applicable. Students are responsible for sharing their 504 Plan or IEP with the institution prior to enrollment. The District cannot guarantee that programs will be able to provide students’ accommodations or supports for courses taken outside of the District.
- Submitting an official transcript to the school site’s SDA upon completion of the course. Failure to do so may put your graduation status at risk. 12th grade students in their spring semester must submit evidence of course completion by two days before graduation day in order to be included in the ceremony.
SMUHSD is not responsible for monitoring student progress, providing academic support, and/or remediating/supplementing skills/content offered by these outside courses.
Once this form is submitted you will receive a copy. The form will need to be approved by your counselor, and administrator.
Your counselor will notify you when the document has been approved.