Student Services

  • For questions and more information about the following items, visit the Student Services section of the District website:, email  or call 650-558-2251:

    • Address changes and / or contact info changes
    • Wellness counseling
    • Attendance issues
    • Transferring students
    • Data Confirmation - Summer Census
    • Preferred Name Changes 
    • Alternatives to Suspension programs

    Please feel free to contact our Family Engagement Coordinator,  Carlos Nolasco, at 650-558-2427 or for any questions regarding the above items. 

    Enrollment Process

    Enrollment at Peninsula High School is both voluntary and involuntary. Any student interested in transferring to PHS must contact a counselor at their home school to request a transfer. Once a student has been referred to Peninsula High School, the Alternative Education Panel reviews the student’s history. Students enrolled in our continuation school are placed here because of their challenges to graduate with an education diploma. Should a student increase their credits and become eligible again for PHS, a panel with a counselor, teacher, and an administrator will determine whether the student can return to this setting or not.  

    New students also participate in a group orientation held by the administrative staff and representatives of the leadership group. Students are advised of the school’s expectations for attendance, behavior, and productivity. Support services are also discussed. Students and parent(s)/guardian(s) are encouraged to ask questions and become full participants in the educational opportunities at Peninsula High School.