School Bus Transportation
A Guide of Student Responsibilities While Riding School Buses
Dear Parent or Guardian:
The following rules and regulations are to assure a safe and enjoyable ride for your student to and from school and on field trips. With COVID19 being a concern for everyone’s safety, we have to protect everyone’s safety and strictly enforce these rules. Failure to follow these rules will result in loss of bus privileges and potentially attending PHS on-site. These are strict guidelines, please review them with your student and retain this guide for reference. The bus driver will notify the school administration of any violations of these rules and regulations and a notice or telephone call will be forwarded to you from the school. This notification may require the immediate pick-up of your student if there is a health concern or violation.
- Students must show proper ID (student card/code in) to drivers and still wear their protective face coverings/masks at all times on the bus, or will not be allowed to ride the bus, and potentially lose future riding privileges.
- Students must sit while on the bus. Moving from seats while the bus is in motion is not allowed. Failure to do so will result in removal from the bus and potential loss of ridership privileges.
- No fighting or physical altercations at the bus stop, or on the bus.
- No putting any part of the body out of the bus windows at any time.
- No throwing any object on, out of, or at the bus.
- No eating, drinking or littering of any kind on the bus.
- No excessive horseplay (hitting, poking, shoving, etc.) in or while loading or unloading the bus.
- Using profane or obscene language or gestures is prohibited.
- Disrespect or failure to obey the bus driver is unacceptable.
- No lighting of matches, cigarettes, or smoking/vaping on the bus.
- Any damage or defacing of the bus will result in disciplinary consequences/restitution.
- Riding the bus after receiving a suspension of bus riding privileges is not permitted.
- Other unauthorized or unsafe action.
- Unauthorized opening, closing, or tampering of any kind with bus controls, equipment, doors, windows, or exits.
- Creating excessive noise.
- Carrying any weapon or hazardous material that may endanger lives.
- Giving improper identification when requested by the driver.
Authority of Driver (Section 6-5CAC 14105 and 13-CAC 1217(h)) states: “Pupils transported in a school bus shall be under the authority of, and responsible directly to the driver of the bus, and the driver shall be held responsible for the orderly conduct of the pupils while they are on the bus or being escorted across a street or highway. Continued disorderly conduct or refusal to submit to the authority of the driver shall be sufficient reason for a pupil to be denied transportation. The driver of a school bus shall not eject any school pupil unless the pupil is given into the custody of a parent or any person designated by the parent or school.” Violations of these rules could result in a two-week suspension from riding the bus. Thank you for your cooperation in assisting the District to ensure the safest transportation for our students.