In 2020, the San Mateo Union High School District Board of Trustees adopted a revised dress code. The basic principles include:
- The student dress code should serve to support all students to develop a body-positive self-image.
- All students are encouraged to dress in a manner that is comfortable and conducive to an active school day and allows them to express their self-identified gender.
- Students should be able to wear clothing without fear of or actual unnecessary discipline or body shaming.
The following guidelines shall apply to all regular school activities:
- Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments. Shirts or tops must be worn at all times and must cover the back, front and sides of the torso.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Hats, caps and other head coverings shall not cover the face unless for religious purposes. Masks are not allowed unless for a medical purpose.
- Students CANNOT Wear Clothing, jewelry and personal items (backpacks, fanny packs, gym bags, water bottles etc.) that depict:
- Violent language or images
- Images or language depicting drugs, alcohol, tobacco, nicotine, e-cigarette or vaping, hate speech, profanity, pornography (or any illegal item or activity) or the use of the same
- Images or language that create a hostile or intimidating environment based on any protected class (defined as race, ethnicity, country of origin, religion).
Additional information can be found in the policy and admin regulations which can be found on the District’s website: www.smuhsd.org/dresscode
All Capuchino-wear and college gear are encouraged and acceptable.
Wear Green and Gold every FRIDAY!