AB 104 and AB 130

  • Spanish

    State Assembly Bill 104 

    Repeating School Years 

    AB 104, signed into law on July 1, 2021, created a process for parents and guardians to request that their students repeat a grade level from the 2020-21 school year. Parents/guardians or students 18 or older must complete this form in order for the request to be considered. The request should only be made for students who received a D, F or No Pass for more than half their courses in the 2020-2021 school year.  Staff from student services will review the student’s records from the 2020-21 school year in order to determine eligibility. If eligible, student services will coordinate a consultation meeting within 30 days with the parent/guardian, student, counselor/administrator and Director of Student Services.

    Requesting Grade Changes

    AB 104 also allows parents/guardians or students 18 years old or older to request a grade change from a letter grade to a pass/no pass mark for any high school course on a student’s transcript for coursework taken during the 2020-21 school year.  Parents/Guardians must complete the grade change form by Monday, August 16, 2021. For the 2020–21 through 2023–24 school year, postsecondary institutions listed on the California Department of Education’s Website will accept, for admission purposes, a transcript with a pass or no pass grade instead of a letter grade for an applicant pursuant to Education Code Section 49066.5(b). Institutions not on this list and/or out of state may not accept the pass/no pass mark. For the purposes of participating in athletics, the CIF requires a minimum unweighted GPA of 2.0. A “Pass” mark is weighted as a 2.0. If you need additional guidance on the grade change, and potential impact, please contact your student's counselor. 

    AB 104 Presentation: English | Spanish 

    State Assembly Bill 130

    Independent Study

    AB 130, calls for new independent study guidelines in the 2021-22 school year providing individualized study for students whose health would be at risk by receiving in-person instruction as determined by the student’s parent or guardian. Independent study courses are conducted through Edgenuity. Course content meets the same A-G graduation requirements as in-person instruction. Families and students can learn more about courses by visiting Edgenuity’s Course List. Please note that only courses offered through SMUHSD are offered to our students through Edgenuity. Additional information may be found on the District’s Independent Studies webpage. If interested, contact your student’s counselor.

    AB 130 Presentation: English | Spanish

    Learn more about Independent Studies.