Hillsdale High School Dance Policy Contract
The San Mateo Union High School District requests your assistance to ensure that all students who choose to attend school dances follow the district policy outlined below. Your student has been informed of the rules and if they choose not to follow them, they will receive disciplinary consequences. This contract must be signed by parent/guardian and student via the Google Form in order for your student to attend Hillsdale dances.
Series 300:340349; 42
Student Policies; Student Behavior; Dances
Dances are an opportunity for students to socialize in a safe, supervised, and appropriate environment. Student behavior must reflect the district’s mutual respect policy.
- Dances on school sites are from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m.
- Dances held outside the District boundaries are limited to 2 per school year, can be held only between San Jose and San Francisco, and are to begin by 8:00 pm and end by midnight.
- Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Doors close one hour after the dance begins.
- Students who leave the dance may not reenter.
- Inappropriate or dangerous dancing is disallowed.
- Inappropriate dress is disallowed.
- Selling, possession, or being under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance will result in immediate removal from the dance and suspension from school, along with possible legal consequences.
- The use of a Breathalyzer is at the discretion of school administration.
- Failure to comply with the rules will result in removal from the dance and notification of parents/guardians, and other disciplinary action as determined by school administration.
[adopted June 13, 2002]
- PHOTO ID IS REQUIRED. Anyone without photo ID will be denied entrance to the dance.
- Behavior and must be safe and appropriate at all times.
- Dance with your feet on the floor at all times
- No moshing, no hands on the floor, no lewd, sexual, or generally offensive behavior
- No alcohol or drug use.
- This is a school event and all school rules apply, including the dress code.
- If you choose to leave the dance early, you may not return. Parents may also be notified if you leave prior to the end of the dance.
Should a student break the rules or violate the dance policy, the consequences may include the following:
- Verbal warning
- Lost of privileges to attend future dances
- Ordered to leave and parents notified
- Disciplinary action including suspension and/or possible legal consequences
Should a student break the law, for example by using alcohol or drugs before or at the dance:
- They will be suspended from school as required by Education Codes and will not be allowed to attend any dances for the remainder of the school year.
- [Note: There will be a Breathalyzer used at all dances.]
A student whose behavior is chronically or repeatedly inappropriate will not be allowed to attend any dances for the remainder of the school year, including PROM. If you feel that you cannot follow these rules, do not attend the dances.
Students, their families, and any guests will be asked to sign that they have read and agree to follow the Hillsdale High School Dance Policy/Rules. By signing this, students agree to dance safely, appropriately, and to arrive and stay sober at all school dances; parents agree to review this policy with their students and agree to support the school’s consequences their student may receive for not following the school dance policy.