Student Health Services

  • This is important information, please retain for future reference! 

    To enroll in a California school, the State Law requires that each student be immunized against Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus, Polio, Measles/Mumps/Rubella, Varicella and Hepatitis B. Written verification from physician, clinic or other medical source must be presented to the school at the time of enrollment. Immunizations are not given at school. Consult your family physician or the County Health Department (650-573-3602) for appointments. 

    Tuberculosis Clearance
    Students are encouraged, but not required, to be cleared for tuberculosis by presenting physician/licensed health care provider verification of a negative tuberculin skin test, quantiFERON-TB blood test, or chest x-ray with the following exceptions:

    1. Student cafeteria workers are required to provide tuberculosis clearance every four years.
    2. Students (and adults) in child development (nursery school program) and community service programs (elementary school programs) are required to provide tuberculosis clearance annually.  

    Special Health Problems
    Parents are encouraged to inform the Health Aide of special health problems such as an orthopedic handicap, heart condition, epilepsy/seizure disorder, diabetes, neurological or emotional disorder, severe allergies, or any other problem which may affect the student’s school life, performance or safety by calling the Health Office at 558-2522.

    Medical Emergency Forms
    This card is distributed to students each year. It is extremely important for parents to fill in the card completely and inform the Health Aide of any changes in health or emotional condition, medication, address or emergency contact numbers during the school year. 

    Physical Examinations
    Basic to the understanding of the health needs of students, is the comprehensive physical examination. All students registering in the San Mateo Union High School District are required to present a medical examiner’s statement, soon after registration and not later than the end of the first semester. With the following exceptions, one examination will suffice for the four-year period:

    1. All students in athletics must have a physical examination annually, preferably in the summer and mailed in ahead to the school Health Aide. In this way, clearance is out of the way and participation assured for the school year.
    2. The District Health Manager may request a physical examination under special circumstances in which case she will discuss the need with parents.

    Excuse from Physical Education
    When a student is to be excused from P.E. for three days or less, a written note from a parent is given directly to the P.E. teacher. If a student is to be excused for more than four days, the school Health Aide must receive written authorization from a licensed health care provider. The authorization needs to include a statement of diagnosis, specific physical limitation(s) and dates of restriction.

    Students are to report all accidents to the teacher during class time. The teacher will send the student to the Health Office. If medical treatment is indicated, parents will be contacted. 

    If a student becomes ill at school, he/she should inform the teacher and get permission to come to the Health Office. Parents are then contacted before a student is released from school. If a parent cannot be reached, the Health Aide will contact another authorized adult listed on the student’s Medical Emergency Form. Students should not call parents themselves to be released. Students must check out through the Health Office when ill. Students may rest in the Health Office for a brief time only. If ill, a student should be at home.  If not, a student should be in class. Any student with a fever of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher is required to stay home (or go home) and remain home until she/he is fever free for more than 24 hours.

    Over-the-counter medications (Advil, Tylenol, cold products, lozenges, etc.) are not distributed by the Health Aide or faculty. Students may carry and self-administer medication at school with written authorization from a licensed health care provider and parent. If a student requires assistance with medications required during the school day, please contact the Health Aide for instructions. The Authorization for Medication(s) to be taken During School Hours form is available in the Health Office and required annually.

    Vision and Hearing Screenings
    Vision and hearing screenings are done by the District Health Manager as mandated by State law or upon written request of student’s teachers or parents. If the student fails to pass minimum standards established by California Education Code, the District Health Manager will send a referral to parents for further action.


  • Lori Durham
    MHS Health Aide
    Fax: 650-558-2552

    Sara Devaney
    SMUHSD Health Manager
    Fax: 650-762-0249