FAFSA/CADAA Graduation Requirement

  • New for Class of 2023: FAFSA/CADAA Graduation Requirement

    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) determines a student’s eligibility for financial aid to assist with a student’s attendance at a college or career school. California Education Code (CEC) § 51225.7 requires a local educational agency to confirm each 12th-grade student’s completion and submission of a FAFSA or CADAA unless the student is determined to be exempt or an opt-out form is completed. 

    For guidance on whether you should complete the FAFSA or CADAA learn more here

    Why apply?

    • Apply for government grants, loans, and work study all in one application

    • Access to free money for college

    • You don’t know your eligibility until you apply

    • It can only benefit you!

    • As ‘insurance’ in case your family’s income falls.

    • Can benefit high-income applicants to need-aware colleges.

    This opt-out form permits a student to opt out of the completion of a FAFSA or CADAA form graduation requirement. Completing this graduation requirement opt-out form does not prevent you from applying for the FAFSA or CADAA.

Cash For College Workshops

  • CSAC Cash for College Logo

    Students and families can attend free Cash for College Workshops across California for help completing the FAFSA, CADAA and Chafee Applications. 

Key Dates

  • October 1

    March 2

    • March 2, is the priority financial aid filing deadline for most colleges and universities and the absolute deadline for submission of your Cal Grant application (CA Dream Act Application + GPA)
    • If you or your school submits your certified GPA using your DACA SSN, make sure you include that DACA SSN on question #8 of your CA Dream Act Application
    • Better yet, submit a Non-SSN GPA to the CA Student Aid Commission

    After March 2

    • Some colleges, especially community colleges, accept the CA Dream Act Application throughout the year. Check with your campus Financial Aid Office.