Students are responsible for the care and preservation of all instructional materials checked out to them. Textbooks checked out to you with your Capuchino High School ID card are the property of the San Mateo Union High School District, and it is your privilege to use these books while you are a student at Capuchino High School.
Students will be issued textbooks only for those classes in which they are enrolled. Students are required to return all textbooks at the conclusion of the class, at the direction or request of the administration, teacher or library staff, or if the student leaves Capuchino High School.
- Textbooks are checked out with a valid Capuchino High School ID card. Books are barcoded and linked to each student's account.
- Students are to protect textbooks from damage. Non-adhesive book covers are to be used. If you notice a problem with the textbook when it is checked out to you, let the Capuchino Library staff know within the first 2 weeks so you are not held responsible for the damage.
- Students are not to write, underline, or highlight textbooks, including novels checked out for English classes (use sticky notes).
- HOWEVER, you should write your name in the front inside cover or its facing page of the book when it is issued to you, so that when you return it at the end of the course, you know that you're returning your textbook and not your friend's.
- All textbooks and materials checked out to the student must be returned in good, usable condition, with the barcode still attached to the book or material (e.g., calculator) at the end of a class.
- If a textbook or material is lost or damaged, the student is required to pay all costs for the textbook or material that was checked out to him or her.
Seniors will not be given their diploma until all textbook obligations are met.
Schedules, diplomas and school privileges, such as Winter Ball/Prom may be withheld until all materials are returned or fines/fees have been paid for.
Textbook Fines & Fees
$5 Missing Barcode
$5 Graffiti, Highlighting, Obscenities, Writing
$10 Cover Damage, Loose Binding, Torn or Stained Pages
100% of Cost for Lost or Destroyed/Unusable Textbooks
Replacement IDs are available for $5 from the Main Office.
Textbooks for semester-long classes (for example, Government, Economics, Modern World History or Health) should be turned in after the final because second semester students will need them!
Novels used in English class should be returned as soon as your class is finished with them. Automatic overdue emails listed under TEXTBOOK FINES are simply a reminder to turn in the books if you are finished with them. The "price" is what it costs to replace the novel if it is lost, NOT an overdue fine. It's okay to keep novels if you are still using them, but do not start a collection in your bed or in your car! You may be restricted from checking out more books until past ones are returned or paid for, if lost.