May 27, 2022
April 15th, 2022
Dear Families & Students of the Class of 2022,
We’re working hard on graduation and end-of-the-year events for the Class of 2022! We love our Vikings and are very proud of their accomplishments over the past four years. In many ways, it’s hard for us to see them leave the Viking Ship, but we all hold high hopes for them on the next part of their journey. We want our students to be celebrated in the coming weeks, while also finding closure with one another and experiencing a successful conclusion to their senior year.
The Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremony will be held on Friday, May 27, 2022, at 3:00 p.m. at the Mills High School Jim Cox Stadium. The graduation ceremony is a cherished and memorable event in which families, faculty, friends and students honor the achievements of all graduates. Participation in the ceremony is contingent upon the student meeting all of the San Mateo Union High School District graduation requirements and maintaining appropriate behavior for the remainder of the school year.
The staff at Mills High School is working hard to make the end of the school year as memorable as possible. Please discuss the importance of appropriate behavior and completion of all academic coursework during these remaining weeks of the school year with your student so they can enjoy the many activities that we have planned for them.
Please read the remainder of this letter which contains valuable information about upcoming events and the Graduation ceremony. Be sure to mark your calendars for the rehearsal schedule and other important dates.
Do not hesitate to call or email our school if you need more information about the many upcoming events.
Congratulations to the Class of 2022 for their accomplishments as Mills High School graduates. We look forward to seeing you at the Graduation ceremony and celebrating this special day with you and your student.
Please call or email us if you have any questions or concerns.
IMPORTANT DATES AND INFORMATION
April 27&29 Senior Check-Out Forms distributed to all Seniors in English classes
April 29 Graduation speech audition submissions due
May 2 First day to submit extra Graduation ceremony tickets request via school website, 8:00am
May 6 Prom, San Francisco Hornblower Cruise, Pier 3, 7:30 p.m. - 11:59 p.m.
May 13 La Fiesta Celebration for Latina Mentor Program Club, 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Auditorium
May 16 Last day to submit extra Graduation ticket requests via school website, 8:00am
May 17 Athletic Hall of Fame Celebration, 5:00pm-7:00pm, Center Court
May 17 Cap & Gown distribution during FLEX and LUNCH in 500-wing courtyard, Last Names A-Le
May 18 Senior Awards and Honors Program, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m., Auditorium
May 19 Cap & Gown distribution during FLEX and LUNCH in 500-wing courtyard, Last Names Li-Z
May 20 Spring Music Concert, 7:00 p.m., Auditorium
May 23 Lockers must be cleared out by end of day today
May 23-26 Finals Schedule – located on Mills website
May 23 Senior Picnic & Yearbook Distribution (pending arrival), 9:30 am-2:30 pm at Mills
May 25 Minimum Day - Finals Schedule is located on Mills website
MANDATORY Graduation Practice and Line Up @ MHS – Auditorium, Center Court & Jim Cox Stadium
1:00 pm- 2:30 pm
May 26 Minimum Day - Finals Schedule is located on Mills website
Last day to turn in Senior Check-Out forms to Ms. Schlax by 12:30pm
MANDATORY Graduation Practice and Graduation Ticket Distribution @ MHS – Auditorium, Center Court & Jim Cox Stadium 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
May 27 Graduation Ceremony
Mills High School – Jim Cox Stadium, 3:00 pm
Guest seating 2:00 pm - 2:55 pm
Graduates to gather and line up at 1:00 p.m. in the Center Court
Guests: Please bring your own water to the ceremony and wear sunblock and a hat. No umbrellas, please.
GRADUATION CEREMONY ELIGIBILITY
- A student must pass the necessary coursework
- A student must be in good standing with the school
- A student must pay all book bills and library fines
- A student must return a completed Senior Check-Out Form to Ms. Schlax by 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 26, 2022
Pamela Duszynski, Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jose Gomez, Assistant Principal, email@example.com
Lyndsey Schlax, Assistant Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rita Lehner, Staff Assistant, email@example.com
Each graduating senior will receive four paper tickets at the conclusion of the rehearsal on May 26th. Each ticket can be used for one guest and will give seating to one guest chair on the field. Seating is not assigned and will be available first-come, first-serve.
Parents may request additional tickets for the Graduation ceremony by completing the ticket request form on the main Mills website that will be available starting Monday, May 2nd and closing on Monday, May 16th. We will attempt to accommodate all requests, however, please understand that seating is limited on the football field. There will be additional seats that are open and will not require a ticket in the bleachers on the home side of the field. Bleacher seating is first-come, first-served. There will be NO seating allowed on the visitor side bleachers.
THE GRADUATION CEREMONY
On Friday, May 27th, the west gates will open to the Mills High School Jim Cox Stadium at 2:00 p.m. and will close promptly at 2:55 p.m. for the duration of the processional. Gates will reopen after the procession of graduates. The Graduation ceremony will begin promptly at 3:00 p.m.
Please allow plenty of time for parking. The entrance to the Jim Cox Stadium is located through the west gates of the field. Parking is available along Millbrae Avenue, Sequoia Avenue, and Murchison Drive. Do not park in a red zone or illegal parking space. Please let Mr. Gomez know if you need special parking, special seating accommodations, or handicapped access. You can reach Mr. Gomez via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review the following items prior to the event.
- Appropriate behavior is expected of all students and family members during the Graduation ceremony.
- If a student is not able to participate in the Graduation ceremony, a parent must notify Ms. Duszynski in writing as soon as possible – we need to know by Tuesday, May 17th.
- Do not bring noisemakers, balloons, or any other distractions to the Graduation ceremony.
- Students may not wear sashes that are not issued by the school.
- Students who chose to decorate or adorn their caps must abide by school guidelines for appropriate language. Any decorated cap that is deemed inappropriate by a school official will not be permitted.
- Students are encouraged to wear one lei during the graduation ceremony in addition to the special Mills lei given by the PTO. Families wishing to give their students additional leis are encouraged to do so after the ceremony has ended.
- Please do not prolong your applause, yell, or whistle when the graduates are being recognized in order to allow the name of the next graduate to be heard by their family and friends.
- Videotaping is permitted only from the seats in the audience. You may not approach the stage to take pictures or videos of your graduate. MCTV will be on-site to broadcast the event to the public and will live-stream the event on the MCTV Youtube channel and the local MCTV Channel 6.
- A professional photographer will take each student’s photograph as they receive a diploma and you will receive information on purchasing these photographs. Guests must remain seated during the duration of the ceremony.
- Bring your own water and wear sunblock and a hat. Umbrellas or other shade structures will not be permitted since they block the view of guests.
Thank you so much, and we’ll see you at Graduation!