Concurrent Enrollment

  • Outside Course Request Form 

    The San Mateo Union High School District will not transfer credit from an accredited institution to the high school transcript under the following conditions:

    • The course has not received pre-approval and/or does not fall within one of the conditions below.
    • The course is taken for enrichment, but is not needed for graduation or college entrance.
    • The course exceeds the 40 credit limit (BP-AR-E-6141.11).
      [3 C.C. units = 5 H.S. credits / 5 C.C. units = 10 H.S. credits]
    • The course is not from an Accredited institution and/or is not A-G approved. 

    Criteria for Appropriate Credit Approval (ACA):

    • Make up a course.
    • Part of an approved early graduation plan.
    • Language not offered at high school.
    • Compelling academic need for a course as detailed in a 4-year plan (i.e. you need to take Geometry over the summer so you can take AP Calculus by your senior year).

    Students and families are responsible for the following:

    • Ensuring outside programs are offered through WASC Accredited institutions and are UC A-G approved. 
    • Covering the cost of tuition, materials, proctoring exams and/or other related expenses/requirements.
    • Ensuring the outside program will be able to implement the student’s 504 Plan or IEP, if applicable. Students are responsible for sharing their 504 Plan or IEP with the institution prior to enrollment. The District cannot guarantee that programs will be able to provide students’  accommodations or supports for courses taken outside of the District. 
    • Submitting an official transcript to the school site’s SDA upon completion of the course. Failure to do so may put your graduation status at risk. 12th grade students in their spring semester must submit evidence of course completion by two days before graduation day in order to be included in the ceremony.

    SMUHSD is not responsible for monitoring student progress, providing academic support, and/or remediating/supplementing skills/content offered by these outside courses.

    Outside Course Pre-Approval Form - Once this form is submitted you will receive a copy.  The form will need to be approved by your counselor, and administrator. 


    Frequently Asked Questions

    Are students allowed to take graduation requirements off campus next year?

    • No, students are not allowed to take graduation requirements outside of our school district for next year. We will return to policies pre-pandemic.  

    Will community college coursework still receive a GPA point bump? 

    • Yes, under the following circumstance:
      1. Community College courses that are UC/CSU transferable will receive a GPA (grade point average) increase from Fall Semester 2020 ONWARD
      2. Students may receive this increase in their grade point average (GPA) by taking UC/CSU transferable courses at the Community College provided there is not a comparable course offered by the district that does not receive a GPA bump (e.g. Precalculus). 
      3. Community College Courses that are UC/CSU transferable will be calculated on 5.0 Grade Point Scale.
      4. The district will update the equivalency chart to ensure that students know which courses will qualify for a GPA increase.
      5. Most UC/CSU transferable courses are considered college level courses so are comparable to AP/IB or honors courses.
      6. As part of the district’s long term goals and the Strong Workforce grant, going forward community college courses that are taught on our campuses and are part of our Dual Enrollment offerings will receive a GPA increase. 
      7. Students must obtain pre-approval for these courses using each site’s pre-approval coursework form. 
      8. This policy takes effect August 2020 and is not retroactive.