Become a Substitute Teacher
Make a Difference in a Day as a Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teachers serve as day-to-day educators to provide continuity of daily education to high school students during their teacher’s absence.
Highlights of Substitute Teaching in the San Mateo Union High School District:
- Salary: $195 per day; $39 per class period/hour
- Supplement your income.
- Create your own schedule.
- Explore careers in education.
- Build a work reputation inside our schools.
- Work in a supportive environment.
- Make a difference in the life of a student.
- Work for a District that understands and appreciates the vital role substitute teachers play in the continuity of daily education for our students.
Minimum Qualifications: California Teaching Credential or 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit
If you have a bachelor’s degree in any subject, meet one of the basic skills requirement (SAT, ACT, CSET, or CBEST passing scores), and successfully pass the Commission on Teacher Credentialing Live Scan fingerprinting (Form 41-LS), you meet the qualifications to apply for a 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit. This permit authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including pre-school, kindergarten, and grades 1-12 inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults.
Join Our Pool of Substitute Teachers Today!
Login/Register with EDJOIN to create your profile and then electronically submit your application for our posting for Substitute Teacher for High School. You can also apply to serve as a Substitute Teacher at the San Mateo Adult School.
If you have any questions on how to become a substitute educator, please contact Human Resources Generalist Christine Powers-Rosaia at (650) 558-2246 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.