school attendance review board (sarb)
The Director of Student Services will screen student referrals to determine if appropriate guidance and community services have been utilized on behalf of the student prior to scheduling the District SARB hearing. The District SARB may be composed of district office administration, school site administrators and deans, school counselors, special education staff, wellness counselors, parents, law enforcement, probation, and other outside agencies, as available. The District SARB attempts to understand why students experience attendance problems and makes every effort to assist in correcting the problem(s). The more frequent actions of the District SARB include:
- Recommending changes in the student’s program that may be unusual but necessary.
- Referral to another District or county educational program.
- Recommendation of case review by Special Education staff.
- Directing the student and/or family to counseling.
- Directing parents to escort student to school daily.
- Requiring student to attend school every day.
- Requiring that a doctor or school health aide verify the student’s future absences.
- Requesting assistance from other county agencies and programs when needed, to include possible reduction in CalWorks/AFDC benefits.