San Mateo High School Wellness Counseling
Hello San Mateo High School Students and Families!
Check out the SMHS Wellness Linktr.ee for important links and resources!
Wellness Counselors offer a safe space at school where any SMHS student can receive confidential and nonjudgmental socio-emotional support.
To meet with a Wellness Counselor:
Visit the Wellness Center located in Student Services during drop-in hours . No appointment necessary! (see below for drop in hours schedule)
Request an appointment here.
Our Wellness Program
The Wellness Program at San Mateo High School provides prevention and short term intervention for all students facing social and emotional challenges that impact academic performance, attendance, and behavior at school. In a safe and supportive environment, students can meet with a wellness counselor to discuss a variety of complex issues such as stress, trauma, suicide, depression, bullying, grief, self-esteem, family life, drug and alcohol use, relationships and gender identity and L.G.B.T.Q.+. Students can learn positive, lifelong habits that contribute to their well-being and success. The Wellness Program provides short-term (up to 12 sessions) individual, group and/or drop-in support in a confidential, non-judgmental space staffed with therapists who are dedicated to improving the health, well-being and educational outcomes of all students.
- Short-term (12 session) individual counselor support
- Group counseling
- Drop-in & crisis support
- Mental health assessments
- Referrals to community partners for:
- Long-term therapy
- Family therapy
- Acute or severe mental health/psychotic disorders
- Eating disorders
Talk with your student's school counselor as the first step to accessing wellness services or come in during drop-in hours
If this is a medical or mental health emergency, please contact the following sources immediately:
- StarVista 24/7 Crisis Hotline: 650-579-0350
- StarVista Teen Crisis Services (Monday - Thursday, 4:30 - 9:30 p.m. PST)
- Teen Chat: www.sanmateocrisis.org
- Teen Text Line: 650-747-6463
- Crisis Text Line: text "home" to 741-741
- Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: 988
- Anonymous Alerts: www.anonymousalerts.com/sanmateouhsd
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233, www.thehotline.org/
- 911 or visit your nearest hospital emergency room if you can get there safely
The TALK Line: 415-441-KIDS
- Care Solace is an online no-cost resource with a live 24/7 concierge meant to assist students and families in finding local mental health-related programs and counseling services (with or without insurance). Students and their families can access Care Solace services by contacting the summer Wellness team or:
- Call 888-515-0595 to speak with someone from your Concierge team
- Visit www.caresolace.com/smuhsdfamilies
- Rape Trauma Services 24-hour hotline: 650-692-7273
- CORA (Community Overcoming Relationship Abuse): 24-hour hotline: 1-800-300-1080
- Trevor Project (LGBTQIA+ youth): 24 hour hotline: 1-866-488-7386
- Gender Spectrum (Gender non-conforming youth)
- Immigrants Rising
Diana de Guzman
Lead Wellness Counselor (Bilingual Tagalog)
Therapeutic Elective Classroom(TEC)Wellness Counselor (Bilingual Spanish)
STARVISTA TEEN CRISIS SERVICES
In crisis or need support in San Mateo County?
24/7 Crisis Hotline: 650-579-0350