Welcome to the Mills Counseling Department! Please check out our links on the left side, including grade specific information. To learn about applying to colleges, see our College & Career Counseling section.
The Mills High School Counseling Team nurtures students’ academic, career and social/emotional development through a comprehensive program that promotes student growth and learning. Through leadership, advocacy and collaboration, our counselors support equity and access to educational experiences that lead to college and career success.
Check out our latest Counseling Newsletter for current information regarding resources and updated college information.
Courses Outside of SMUHSD Pre-Approval Due August 7th at 5PM
- Mills Outside Course Pre-Approval Form
- Spanish Version of the Outside Course Pre-Approval Form
- The San Mateo Union High School District has temporarily shifted policies related to student enrollment in programs outside of their traditional course offerings.
Students and families are responsible for the following:
- Ensuring outside programs are offered through WASC Accredited institutions and are UC A-G approved.
- Covering the cost of tuition fees and related expenses.
- Submitting an official transcript to the school site’s SDA upon completion of the course. Failure to do so may put your graduation status at risk. 12th grade students in their spring semester must submit evidence of course completion by two days before graduation day in order to be included in the ceremony.
SMUHSD will not transfer credit from an accredited institution to the high school transcript under the following conditions:
- The course has not received pre-approval and does not fall within one of the conditions below.
- The course is taken for enrichment, but is not needed for graduation or college entrance.
- The course exceeds the 40 credit limit (BP-AR-E-6141.11).
[3 C.C. units = 5 H.S. credits / 5 C.C. units = 10 H.S. credits]
- The course is not from an Accredited institution and/or is not A-G approved.
Appropriate Credit Approval (ACA):
- Due to circumstances related to COVID-19
- Make up a course.
- Part of an approved early graduation plan.
- Language not offered at high school.
- Compelling academic need for a course as detailed in a 4-year plan.
SMUHSD is not responsible for monitoring student progress, providing academic support, or remediating/ supplementing skills/content offered by these outside courses.
Please complete the following forms to request pre-approval for any courses offered outside of SMUHSD: