Flex Time Overview
Why Flex Time?
- Eliminate institutional barriers -- providing structured school time for homework and assessment, not relying on after school hours only or taking away lunch time
- That the process of learning is personal and unique to each individual
- Cultivate student agency -- encouraging students to make appointments with staff members based on their needs
- Foster the growth of the whole person -- activities can be academic in nature or be in support of student’s mental health
What happens during Flex Time?
Students report to one of their teachers; scan in using Teachmore (hard copy if no WiFi) and participate in:
- Assessment make-ups/retakes
- Individual/small group instruction
- Whole class review sessions
- Opportunity for student collaboration
- Individual student work time
- Guided by a staff member
- Wellness Counseling
- Facilitated Tier II Group
- Club meetings
- Schoolwide Activities (e.g., School Site Council elections, IB Learner Awards, student surveys)
- Student planning and organization
- Unique teacher options (wellness, yoga, games), where desired
When does Flex Time occur?
- On Even Block Schedule days, after brunch.
- Teachers may cap the number of students per Flex Time period, but this cap may not be lower than 20 students; contractual maximums can be applied
- Teachers may limit Flex Time attendance to those students on their current caseload OR invite in others at their own discretion
Where should students go during Flex?
- Students will create appointments or drop-in to work with teachers in their classroom