Beginning and Intermediate Dance
This course offers an introduction to dance. Students will be introduced to dance history, classical dance forms, ethnic dance and social dance forms. The main technical for will be the modern and contemporary dance techniques of Martha Graham, Lester Horton, Katherine Dunham, as well as preparation for the Advanced and IB Dance course.
Students will learn:
- Basic dance instruction in ballet, jazz, modern dance, musical theatre, hip hop and various cultural dance forms, choreography/composition
- Basic dance vocabulary of ballet, jazz and modern dance
- Students will be introduced to various music forms and gain an understanding of music vocabulary
- Students will be introduced to the methods and theories of choreography and improvisation
- Students will gain an awareness of proper body alignment, and various fitness methods
- Students will learn the importance of dance in our society, cultural implications of dance, dance as communication, cross-cultural understanding of dance and dance as fitness.
- Students will prepare for performance in the Fall and Spring Dance Concerts. All are expected to participate.
This is an advanced, college level dance course meant to prepare the dancers for their IB submissions. The students in this class will continue to develop their performance skills and improve their dance technique training. Students will conduct research of dance history, origins of all genres of dance and understanding the value and importance of dance history. Dance students will continue to develop their choreographic skills by creating and setting full length dance works for Senior Project submissions and setting dance works for the Dance Concerts. They will be required to conduct dance history research, write about dance, and analyze dance. This course will provide the dancer with the necessary skills needed to complete the prescribed IB coursework and required projects and for the Advanced Dancer, this course will provide the opportunity to develop skills in preparation for IB submissions. It’s a head-start!.
Students will receive:
- Dance technique training in ballet, jazz, modern dance, social dance, and ethnic dances.
- Exposure to various music forms and gain an understanding of music vocabulary as well as basic - advanced dance vocabulary
- An Introduction to the methods and theories of choreography and improvisation and will be required to