Access the Absence Reporting Form
Accedar al Informe de Ausencia
Overview Key Points:
- Parents/guardians no longer call or provide notes to clear a student’s absence, early dismissal or late arrival.
- Clearing attendance for any reason is done so by completing the BHS Absence Reporting Form
- Access and submit the form at http://bit.ly/BHSclearabsence
- A student’s absence can be cleared up to 48 hours past the day of the last absence
- If a student’s absence is not cleared within two days from the absence, the student is marked as a truant “T” for all unverified periods and those cannot be corrected at any point after the 48 hour window has passed.
- Students are not permitted to make up work of any kind if they are marked as a truant “T” for that class period.
- Students must have a “Permit to Leave” and check out in the Attendance Office before leaving campus.
Detailed Absence Overview
Attendance in school is mandatory for all students under the age of 18. Illness, quarantine, medical, optometry services, dental services, the funeral of members for student’s immediate family (as defined in Education Code 45194), jury duty, and observance of religious holiday or ceremony are the only legal reasons for a student to be absent from school. It is the parent’s/guardian’s and the student’s responsibility to check attendance routinely in AERIES, which can be accessed on the Burlingame High School website.
Parent/Guardian Responsibility: Parents are expected to clear a student’s absence up to 48 hours past the day of the absence being reported. It is greatly appreciated if a parent/guardian submits the absence reporting form on the same day as they absence.
Absences must be cleared by completing the Absence Reporting Form linked here and also available by going to http://bit.ly/BHSclearabsence. Parents/guardians must submit the Absence Reporting Form from the same email address that they listed in AERIES in order to clear a student absence. A student’s absence may only be cleared by a parent/guardian completing and submitting the Absence Reporting Form within 48 hours of the absence! After this period, an absence cannot be cleared and can affect a student’s overall grade in a class and participation in extra-curricular activities. Absences not cleared by the parent/guardian within 48 hours of the absence will be considered a permanent cut/truancy absence and labels in AERIES as a “T” standing for truant. This policy applies to tardies as well.
A “Permit to leave” must be obtained by a parent/guardian completing and submitting the Absence Reporting Form and designating the absence as a request to leave school early, if they are not able to schedule an appointment outside school hours. Parent/guardians and students should make every effort to schedule non-school appointments outside school hours.
Students who leave campus without a “Permit to Leave” will receive a permanent cut/truancy absence – even if a parent calls to clear the absence afterward! A “cut” is identified by a “T” on a student’s attendance record. The school is responsible for each student’s whereabouts during school hours, so it is crucial that students receive the Permit to Leave and check out through the Attendance Office. Please note, students are not permitted to make-up any missed work, quizzes, tests, etc. that occurred in any class on a day the student absence has been marked Truant (T).