Welcome to our Counseling Website! We hope that you’ll find answers to your questions here but if not, don’t hesitate to contact us. Your Academic Counselor will work with you all four years and we’re here to support your academic and personal growth and want to make sure that you are enjoying your high school experience. Whether it be finding the perfect class here at Hillsdale, creating schedules that take advantage of our unique partnership with local community colleges, or walking you through the college application process, Hillsdale Counselors are here to assist you. Additionally, we work closely with students who might need to talk about their personal concerns and access outside community resources when needed.
Please use this link to schedule a virtual appointment with your counselor: https://go.oncehub.com/HillsdaleHighSchoolCounseling
Courses Outside of SMUHSD Pre-Approval for 2021-2022 school year
- HHS Outside Course Pre-Approval Form (includes Summer 2022)
Courses Outside of SMUHSD Pre-Approval for 2022-2023 school year
- HHS Outside Course Pre-Approval Form (includes Summer 2023)
The San Mateo Union High School District has temporarily shifted policies related to student enrollment in programs outside of their traditional course offerings.
Students and families are responsible for the following:
- Ensuring outside programs are offered through WASC Accredited institutions and are UC A-G approved.
- Covering the cost of tuition fees and related expenses.
- Submitting an official transcript to the school site’s SDA upon completion of the course. Failure to do so may put your graduation status at risk. 12th grade students in their spring semester must submit evidence of course completion by two days before graduation day in order to be included in the ceremony.
SMUHSD will not transfer credit from an accredited institution to the high school transcript under the following conditions:
- The course has not received pre-approval and does not fall within one of the conditions below.
- The course is taken for enrichment, but is not needed for graduation or college entrance.
- The course exceeds the 40 credit limit (BP-AR-E-6141.11).
[3 C.C. units = 5 H.S. credits / 5 C.C. units = 10 H.S. credits]
- The course is not from an Accredited institution and/or is not A-G approved.
Appropriate Credit Approval (ACA):
- Due to circumstances related to COVID-19
- Make up a course.
- Part of an approved early graduation plan.
- Language not offered at high school.
- Compelling academic need for a course as detailed in a 4-year plan.
SMUHSD is not responsible for monitoring student progress, providing academic support, or remediating/ supplementing skills/content offered by these outside courses.
Hillsdale High School Counseling Mission Statement
Hillsdale High School Counselors support all students in attaining academic excellence and personal growth. In partnership with advisors and all school community members we are here to help create a safe school through promoting greater respect for self and others.