Welcome to the Special Education Department
We believe that every student can learn and to the extent possible, be integrated within a comprehensive campus. We like students to attend their neighborhood school as part of their community.
Each student is unique and through their Individual Education Plan their specific needs are identified and planned for with the Individual Education Plan Team. Parents/guardians are an important part of the Individual Education Plan process and we want all parents/guardians to participate in this process.
We provide services and support to students based on their individual needs that have been identified through assessment. Based on the common core curriculum, the team, including the student and parents, develop goals for the student to work towards while giving them access to general education.
As required by the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA), the San Mateo Union High School District provides a continuum of services for students with disabilities, ranging from mild to significant. We have a variety of services and supports at every campus and an Individual Education Plan is developed based on the students needs. We work closely with the San Mateo County Office of Education’s Special Programs. Additionally, we collaborate with the San Mateo County Special Education Local Planning Area (SELPA) for professional development, service delivery and compliance with state and federal laws.
We have collaborative relationships with Golden Gate Regional Center (GGRC), Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) and the Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) that support our students and their families in our District. In addition, some of students work closely in community businesses as they transition to careers.
Our goal is to assist all students to guarantee a successful high school experience and to be career and/or college ready.
Holly Wade, Ph.D.
Director of Special Education
8th Grade Family Night for Students with IEPs
8th Grade Family Night specifically For Parents/Guardians of Students with IEPs was January 26.
- Welcome and Introduction by Holly Wade, Director Special Education Services and District Team
- Learn about academic programs, supports and services available to your student with an IEP.
- Learn about the District Programs and Spring articulation planning meetings.
- Meet the staff who will help to guide your soon-to-be 9th Grader
- Learn important pre-enrollment and registration dates.
Important Enrollment Dates
- Priority 1 Enrollment 2022
- Beat the rush and register your student during Priority 1 Enrollment!
- SchoolMint Link went live in mid-November
- Window opened November 30, 2021 and closes February 11, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
- Intra-district transfer requests will be accepted only during the Priority 1 Enrollment window.
- Intra-district Lottery will be pulled on February 17, 2022
- March 1 - 31, 2022: Course Information and Freshmen Scheduling Window
- February - May 2022: Special Education Articulation IEPs with your Elementary District to be scheduled