Student Council is Democracy in Action
Student Council gives students a voice at school, in the community, and in the state.
Student Council at San Mateo Adult School
- Morning and evening Student Councils.
- Officers are elected in the Fall for a one-year term.
- English Secondary Language and GED classes choose two Class Representatives.
- Student Councils meet once a month.
- At meetings, discussion and voting about decisions.
- Minutes are taken at the meetings.
- Class Reps report back to their classes
- Teacher Advisor: Stephanie Kriebel
2018-19 Student Council Officers
- Morning Student Council
- President Shelly Cheng
- Vice President Shereen Lata
- Secretary Claudia Asselborn
- Advisor Ai Ikeuchi
- Evening Student Council
- President Carlos Diaz
- Vice President Olivia Velazquez
- Secretary Victor Linares
- Advisor Simone Coelho
Student Council Funds
- Primary funding source is sales of Student IDs.
- Student Council funds are kept in a bank.
- Student Councils vote about spending money.
- Examples of spending: holiday events, field trip buses, legacy gifts.
- Legacy gifts: Benches, Student Lounge microwaves, Class libraries, Laptops
Student Council Activities
Leaders and Representatives organize and participate in:
- School events including holidays, International Day and Night
- Special activities such as Evening Pizza Nights and Evening Book Club
- Tuesday morning sales of red t-shirts, bumper stickers, pencils
- Community work, such as the Second Harvest Food Drive, Community Clean-ups
- Advocacy, speaking with elected officials, community advisory council, the press
- Workshops at conferences on the local, state, and national level
For More Information
Learn more about English as a Second Language Student Councils here.