Teen Heart Screening - April 14
Free Teen Heart Screening Event for SMUHSD Students is Sunday, April 14
Our heart screening consists of:
- A review of family and health history questionnaire
- Learning hands only CPR and AED use
- A 12 lead EKG. Small patches with a mild adhesive will be placed on the teen’s chest, legs and arms. Electrodes are attached to the patches, and the heart’s electrical activity is recorded
- A cardiologist will review the results and possibly ask questions
- Students may also receive an focused echocardiogram (ultrasound) of their heart. Please be aware that our echocardiograms are limited to heart wall thickness and glaring structural abnormalities and may not catch everything a thorough echo may find.
- This process takes approximately 60-90 minutes
- We strongly urge you to share the results with your own family doctor so that it becomes a part of your teen’s medical chart
THIS IS IMPORTANT:
- All teens under the age of 18 must have the permission form signed by a parent or guardian
- On the day of the screening, teens should wear a t-shirt, sweat pants or shorts
- Girls should wear a sports bra. Girls will be asked to remove the t-shirt but will keep the sports bra on at all times and will be screened by female health professionals in an area separate from boys. Paper gowns will be provided upon request
The cardiac screenings we offer are free. We are a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization (Tax ID # 27-1530938) that relies solely on donations to continue our mission to screen every teen in Northern California. Any support you can give will help us prevent losing more teens to sudden cardiac arrest. We urge you to stay informed, volunteer and donate.
Please remember that while this is a free service to the community, it costs Via approximately $50 per registered participant, plus the generous time commitment of 150+ medical and non-medical volunteers. We appreciate your keeping your appointment once you have registered.
- LOCATION: San Mateo High School
- DATE: Sunday, April 14, 2019.
We expect this event to fill up fast so please CLICK HERE for more information and to register today!